The Latin American School of Social Sciences (FLACSO) was founded in 1957 by the initiative of UNESCO. FLACSO was created as an international, inter-governmental, regional and autonomous body comprised of Latin American and Caribbean countries which adhered to the Agreement: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Cuba, Chile, Ecuador, Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Dominican Republic, Surinam and Uruguay.
The core objective of the FLACSO is establishing post-graduate programs for the purpose of training new Latin American generations in different fields, within the Social Sciences. This function has been widened to its current main objectives:
- To promote critical research of problems related to Latin American social reality understanding that the purpose of study is the analysis of concrete social processes.
- To assure the training of experts in Social Sciences in Latin America by means of specialization courses at the post-graduate level. To offer students the most updated theoretical, methodological and technical tools, as well as the necessary data to complete an efficient training.
- To spread the Social Sciences knowledge and, above all, the results of its own research, with the goodwill and cooperation in the Latin American region through all means possible and with the support of the Governments and/or institutions.
- To provide scientific consulting to Governments and/or research institutions and regional educational centers.
- To collaborate with national university institutions and analogous teaching and research bodies in order to promote cooperation in a field of its own. For such purpose, its objective is to generate collaboration and exchange among the international, regional and national bodies, governmental and non-governmental involved.
- In general, to carry out every academic activity related to the Social Sciences leading to the development and integration of the countries comprising the Latin American region.
Furthermore, FLACSO is also a precursor of virtual training. It began with the intention of distributing the best of its academic knowledge in a fairer manner. At present, FLACSO´s experience allows the institution to sustain solid academic proposals and new technologies in a way for them to strengthen and promote excellence.
FLACSO´s Academic Branch, located in Argentina was founded in 1974 and from that time on, it has developed an ongoing scientific labor in the field of Social Sciences based on ideological pluralistic premises and excellence combined with academic strictness and commitment with the environment in order to contribute to the society improvement. Such labor is partially shown in more than 800 books and work papers published throughout its thirty seven years.
FLACSO, as a pioneer of post-graduate education in Argentina, currently offers one Doctorate in Social Sciences, twelve Masters and numerous Specialization Fields, Post-graduate Diplomas, Post-graduate Seminars and Courses taught both in class and virtually, in this manner easing and widening access to the study of the diverse priority social subjects in Latin America.